Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home
Lot #9043

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Sooo ready to move

We lease a very nice, decently sized home. It has suited our needs up to a point. But as of last night, I am ready to get out. 

My boyfriend woke up around midnight to use the bathroom and commented that the water wasn't working. I think we both thought it was a city issue and we'd deal with it in the morning. We did just call to switch our service and maybe they got the dates wrong?

I was trying to go back to sleep and heard a faint sound. It's a good thing this house had poor insulation and you can hear everything. It sounded like someone was running the bath water in the basement. I got up and when I reached the main floor I heard the gushing of the water. I ran to the basement to find a couple of inches of water running over the carpet in the hallway. 

I woke my boyfriend and we went down to investigate. The water softener was running over. The water was just pouring out of the brine tank. John hit the bypass valve and it stopped. There was a drain in the floor but all of the water was just too much. Pretty much the entire hallway was soaked. 

The saddest part of all, we had no idea where the main water shut off was. 

My boyfriend got most of the standing water with a shop vac, but it's no match for the water that soaked into the carpet and padding. This morning he went and rented a carpet cleaner and has spent a few hours just going over and over the hallway and the water keeps coming up. 

Our landlord came by and checked out the damage. He was impressed with how we dealt with it and is taking money off our lease to compensate for our time.  He is sending someone out on Monday to fix whatever the problem is. It's a good time for us to find out how much it's going to cost to install our own at the new house. 

Now an update at the Darby. I went by at 10am and it was deserted. The paint still sits in the mudroom. 


I was delighted to find the electricity was on. I went through the house flipping switches to see what each one controlled. 



The only issue is in our master bathroom. One of the vanity lights is constantly on. It doesn't belong to a switch. I sure hope they don't have to tear into the walls to fix it. 


I was pleasantly surprised to find I had not one, but two outlets in my peninsula. That's what those two stray wires were for. 



But it left us with a hole in our wall and in our flooring. 




The electrician is coming back Monday to finish up. He needs to label his panel so we know what controls everything.


I didn't really look at the sink last night. It's really big. 


And the coloring of this caledonia is gorgeous. 


The columns on the front still need to be painted. 


And my front door has finally arrived. It will be painted black. 


No comments:

Post a Comment